Thursday, March 5, 2015

Snowy Owl - Collins Marsh - Wisconsin - Appleton Photographers - M. C. Kinney Photography

I happened to be in Reedsville the other afternoon dropping off some sports images and envelopes for 1st Communion portraits so I naturally decided to swing by Collins Marsh and Killsnake Reserve to see what I could find before returning back to Appleton. If you're looking at a map, you'll know that neither Killsnake Reserve or Collins Marsh are on the way to Appleton from Reedsville, but hey, a girls gotta go a little out of her way for some fun!

So...in Killlsnake I saw only one hawk but didn't really get anything worthwhile. I may post it later if I can identify what kind it was (it was greyish with light blue eyes). I'm not sure if the man running with his dog scared the owls and hawks usually found out there in the late afternoon away from the road or not, but there really was nothing within a normal viewing area. So I headed over to Collins to see what I could find. In the Marsh I saw nothing, but high in the tower in the Osprey nest sat the female Snowy that's taken over.
I think the Snowy might think this is her spot since there is a snowflake in the window...kind of mixed messages to the birds if you ask me...
Live stream video of her can be seen here. http://www.ustream.tv/channel/collins-marsh-osprey

Seeing as this tower is incredibly high, I didn't stick around long but instead decided to head home. That's when I saw this one sitting on a pole.

It wasn't long before it decided to find a nice evening snack and headed away from me to get it.


Unlike some of the other Snowy's I've seen going in for the kill that have eaten their meals at the spot they caught them, this owl decided to return to its perch to eat. The mouse is in its left talons, grass is in the right.


And literally seconds after this shot, the mouse was...gone. About this time a man that had pulled over to see the owl came over to talk to me and called his son and daughter over to see some of the images I had taken. It's nice to see some of the younger ones interested in these unique birds. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment